The Power of Praying for Your Adult Children
Author – Stormie Omartian
Christian Living, Prayer
Stormie Omartian’s bestselling The Power of a Praying® series (more than 23 million copies sold) is rereleased with fresh new covers and new material to reach a still-growing market of readers eager to discover the power of prayer for their lives. In this important follow-up to The Power of a Praying® Parent (2 million copies sold), Stormie addresses areas of concern you may have for your grown children and shares how to lift them up to God. With stories from other parents and insight gleaned from personal experience, Stormie helps you pray with the power of God’s Word over your adult children.
I wish I could have read this book fifteen years ago. Now, I can’t get enough of it. I pray the
prayers over and over. Wish I could memorize the whole book.
The book is divided into these helpful chapters:
1. See God Pour Out His Spirit upon Them
2. Develop a Hear for God, His Word, and His Ways
3. Grow in Wisdom, Discernment, and Revelation
4. Find Freedom, Restoration, and Wholeness
5. Understand God’s Purpose for Their Lives
6. Work Successfully and Have Financial Stability
7. Have a Sound Mind and a Right Attitude
8. Resist Evil Influences and Destructive Behavior
9. Avoid All Sexual Pollution and Temptation
10.Experience Good Health and God’s Healing
11.Enjoy a Successful Marriage and Raise Godly Children
12.Maintain Strong and Fulfilling Relationships
13.Be Protected and Survive Tough Times
14.Walk into the Future God Has for Them.
There are scriptures to support the prayers and there is even a section for grandchildren.
It’s been a particularly depressing morning. Mornings seem to be the most difficult time of day for me. Yesterday I had group therapy, dealt with a poor sick Shih Tzu who got into the raspberry pie and helped a relative dealing with her own depression. I don’t know what triggered my depression this morning, maybe it’s a carry over from the events of yesterday. Anyway, I think it’s time to get out my wellness toolbox. A wellness toolbox is a plan of action designed by the creator of the WRAP (Wellness Recovery Action Plan) program, Mary Ellen Copeland, PhD. It is made up on things you can use to help you get over your symptoms; things that you love and make you feel better. They can include things that give you a lift like chatting with a friend or listening to some good music. Here’s some things I have in my toolbox:
- reading a good book
- I keep a list of friends I can call
- listening to favorite music
- I have a bottle of bubbles to blow
- a favorite crossword puzzle book
- mindful meditation
- grooming my Shih Tzu
- go for a walk
- color (it’s not just for kids)
- exercise to some fun music
- make lists
- I invested in a Nintendo DS and play games
- I also invested in the Sims3 games
- watch a funny movie
- cook a new recipe
- make Iced Peach tea, here’s my recipe:
2 black tea bags
2 peach tea bags
1/4 c. lemon juice
3 Tbsp peach syrup
3/4 c. stevia sweetener
2 qts. water
Do you have a mental health toolbox? What are some of the things you have in it?
Books by Mary Ellen Copeland:
- Wellness Recovery Action Plan, 5th edition, paperback, 2011, 102 pages.
- The Depression Workbook: A Guide for Living with Depression and Manic Depression, 2nd edition, paperback 2002,, 334 pages.
- Living Without Depression and Manic-Depression: A Workbook for Maintaining Mood Stability,1st edition, paperback, 1994, 288 pages.
- WRAP Plus (WRAP®), paperback. 2010, 292 pages.
- Healing the Trauma of Abuse: A Women’s Workbook, paperbook, 2000, 408 pages.
- The Worry Control Workbook, hardcover and paperback, 2000, 266 pages.
- Recovering from Depression: A Workbook for Teens, Revised Edition, paperback, 2002, 2008 pages.
- The Loneliness Workbook: A Guide to Developing and Maintaining Lasting Connections, paperback, 2000, 195 pages.
Jesus Calling: Enjoying Peace in His Presence.
Author: Sarah Young
Publication Date: October 12, 2004
Sarah Young has put together a book of daily devotionals consisting of words she felt God was speaking to her. Followed by actual bible scriptures, these inspiring prayers spoke to the heart and soul of me. I go to these prayers whenever I feel a need to feel his presence and peace. Here is an excerpt from one of the prayers in this book:
When you seek My Face in response to My Love-call, both of us are blessed. This is a deep mystery, designed more for your enjoyment than for your understanding. I am not a dour God who discourages pleasure. I delight in your enjoyment of everything that is true, noble, right, pure, lovely, admirable. Think on these things, and My Light in you will shine brighter day by day.
Other books by Sarah Young:
Jesus Today: Experiencing Hope Through His Presence.
Jesus Lives: Seeing His Love in Your Life
Dear Jesus: Seeking His Light in Your Life
40 Days with Jesus: Celebrating His Presense
Jesus Calling: 365 Devotions for Kids: Time Tested Answers to Your Toughest Questions
Jesus Calling: A 365 Day Journaling Devotional
God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change; courage to change the things I can; and wisdom to know the difference. Living one day at a time; Enjoying one moment at a time; Accepting hardships as the pathway to peace; Taking, as He did, this sinful world as it is, not as I would have it; Trusting that He will make all things right if I surrender to His Will; That I may be reasonably happy in this life and supremely happy with Him Forever in the next. Amen.